Thursday 16 September 2010

Spicy butternut squash and coconut soup: soup for a cold day or for when you have a cold.

I'm in the mood for soup. I've got a cold. I'm cold. I'm fairly miserable, which my partner tells me is pretty standard nowadays ("you're disproportionately miserable" he whispers to me in my ear).

Soup can only help can't it? Plus it's vegetables.

I came across this recipe last year. I can't remember where from but when I feel better I will attempt to find out because it makes me REALLY CROSS when people don't credit recipes and say "oh here is my recipe for XYZ". I know recipes are all nicked from somewhere anyway, but as a professional writer, I care very much about the value of words. If you know where something comes from, sodding credit it you teef.

So this isn't my recipe although I've adapted it to suit my own selfish means. I've adapted it in a very small way, because I'm just not that clever to do a handbrake turn with a recipe and completely reinvent it.

This is what you need:

A butternut squash, it really doesn't matter what the size is since they're all bred nowadays to be 'supermarket size' anyway. Peel it, which is a bastard job, and cut it into chunks. I cut it into chunks and then peel it, actually.
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped 
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of garam masala
1-2 teaspoon of dried chilli flakes(one gives it a nice warmth, two a kick, I've not tried more than that. The original recipe calls for three dried whole chillies which you cook with the squash, then take out two of them before the blending stage. I used dried cos we always have in)
6 garlic cloves, peeled
600ml chicken stock - made with a cube, for goodness sake. I'm all for chicken broth made from proper dead chickens when you're using it as the actual stuff you're eating, for pastina in brodo for instance but when you're chucking it into a soup, a cube is just fine. I use Kallo organic cos it makes me feel better.
400ml coconut milk (the original said 200ml, but all the coconut  milk I find comes in 400ml tins and if you use 200ml you end up wasting the other 200ml. I think this is a shame, so I use the whole tin, it makes for a slightly creamier soup, but since when was that a bad idea? The point is, if you have a use for the other 200ml of coconut milk, use less and tell me what that use is).
Juice of one lime (not essential, so don't panic if you don't have it, but it adds a nice taste and has useful vitamin C).

Preheat oven to 200C.

Take 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, put in a small receptacle and into that put your spices and chilli. Mix around and then drizzle over the squash. Put it in the oven for 20mins. After 20 mins scatter over the garlic and cook for another 10 mins, after which the squash should be lovely and squashy and soft, if not give it a bit more.

Whilst that is doing, use the other two tablespoons of oil to soften the onion. Do it with the lid on. You want lovely transparent onion, all soft and relaxed, not mean and burned and angry.

Scrape the squash and all the spicy bits into a blender. Add the onion. Pour in a bit of the chicken stock so that it's easier to blend the whole lot up. Blend it up. Brr brr brrr so that the whole lot is thick and velvety and GOOD.

Put into a pan, add the rest of the stock and the coconut milk. Heat it up, add lime juice, season if you want to (I never do, stock cubes have so much sodding seasoning already) eat it and think of nice autumn things and what you want for Christmas.

This just isn't the most interesting picture, I mean, it could be custard. But I forgot to take a pic at any other, more photogenic point in making it. What would have been ideal is a picture of someone in knitted fingerless gloves, nursing a mug of this and wearing slouchy socks, kinda Toast-catalogue styley. Although nursing these days means a different thing to me, so I mean: holding the mug, not breastfeeding it.

4 comments:

Mrs Dee said...

This looks gorgeous and so fitting for today - what a dreary, miserable day out there. :( Blue Dragon does a "mini" coconut milk tin that's roughly 200ml, so that's what I usually get when I need a smaller amount. Your photo caption made me snort out loud.

Annalisa Barbieri said...

I live to make you snort Lisa. Thank for telling me about the smaller tin of coconut milk, I shall look out for it!

Fiona Beckett said...

Ah but smaller tins are often disproportionately expensive. You can make rather good vegan rice pudding with coconut milk and cardamom if you feel so moved and if it improves the taste of the soup to use less.

Nice recipe, brilliantly written.

Annalisa Barbieri said...

Fiona. Thank you so much. Means a lot you saying that. Do you know, I only made rice pudding for THE VERY FIRST TIME the other day. Do you have a recipe for vegan rice pudding to hand, by chance?