Friday 9 December 2011

Salted caramel chocolates

Here it is, cut in half.


I'm very fond of salted caramel chocolates. I know salted caramel is a bit everywhere now, but I am partial.

L'Artisan du Chocolat's are my favourite. But expensive. I went into the store within Selfridges not so long ago and a box costs £12 million pounds. Or nearly that.

Anyway, whenever I'm on a deadline, which is often, I think about how I can waste time in the kitchen. Because when I am failing at writing I need to achieve at something. Be it ironing or stuffing envelopes. I need a task that has a beginning, middle and end. Unlike writing which seems like all beginning and then huge relief followed by anxiety.

So this is what I did. I got my button chocolate mould, what I bought at Lakeland. This doesn't make buttons like Cadbury's buttons, it's bigger. Each button is about 2cm across at the widest part. (Or something, I haven't measured it I can if anyone wants me to). I melted some 70% cocoa chocolate, which isn't really chocolate, it's health food. I half filled the mould. Then put it in the fridge until set (not long). Then I put in some caramel sauce.


Here they are, chocolate at the bottom already. I actually put a bit more caramel in than is shown because I am very greedy.







Don't be mean with the caramel sauce. But don't fill so much that you can't seal the chocolate up. They key is not to get the chocolate too thick, but to strike the right balance between enough chocolate to hold the caramel in, without making it too thin/thick. Even if you get it wrong the result is totally delicious, so fret not.


I use this caramel toffee sauce, aka dulce de leche. I don't know how authentic it is but it's what I use.

You thought I made my own caramel to go in these? You were wrong.



On top of each puddle of caramel, I then put a sprinkle of sea or rock salt. My two year old sometimes helps with this bit and some get enough salt to put you in a coma and I have to go round cleaning up.

You then let it rest for a bit more in the fridge, then top up with more chocolate. I keep my chocolate runny by keeping it over a pan of boiling water (but not on the stove).

Voila. Easy. Let's just have another look at the finished product:

Pretty nice eh?



Addendum, November 2012.

I have now started making my own caramel to make these and it elevates them into something else. It doesn't take long to make, the caramel, but as it's my secret ingredient I am, for once, not going to share it. I'll just post this here to be really annoying.

But you can find a recipe for caramel anywhere...

7 comments:

Mrs Dee said...

VERY nice! I have chocolate moulds (from my adventure with cake bites. Don't ask.) Yippie!

Annalisa Barbieri said...

Cake bits like cake pops? The devil's boils. HATE THEM. I think they would work rather well in those...

And thanks for posting ON THE BLOG. x

Anonymous said...

Wow! And as Dulce de Leche is my favourite thing in the universe, I can see I might have to make some of these. Thank you!

Annalisa Barbieri said...

I live to serve...

Linda Grant said...

I've backed off from ordering the mould after the Thorntons debacle yesterday

Annalisa Barbieri said...

It is precisely BECAUSE of the Thornton's debacle that you must order the mould and make your own Linda. No comparison. I loathe Thornton's chocolates.

Mrs Dee said...

Yep, like cake pops but not on sticks. They weren't as difficult, but I will never make those buggers again.