Tuesday 3 July 2012

Chewy scoop biscuits

 These have just come out of the oven. They are crispy, salty, sugary, chocolately. But not sickly, because that would be wrong.


As I've mentioned in the past, I keep all my torn out recipes in Muji PP Portfolio books. I have about 12 of them covering different subjects like 'Everyday', 'Pasta', 'Fish' and of course one just for biscuits...

I had cut this recipe out of the Waitrose magazine some time ago and recently refound it. It was the word 'chewy' that got me, even though these biscuits aren't, actually chewy (or I have not found them to be so).

Not that that matters, because they're delicious, easy to make and - best of all, for me - you can make the dough, shape them and then freeze them so when you fancy home made biscuits you're only a quarter of an hour away from them. It also means you can cook just a few at a time (important for greedy types such as me).

Anyway, here is the recipe. I didn't have hazelnuts so I used walnuts. The three types of chocolate is really important, as is the salt (obviously all the ingredients are important. But what I mean is something that seems unimportant, like the salt, is actually crucial in my view).

I didn't use an ice cream scoop, just shaped them with  my hands into walnut sized balls. My biscuits, as you can see, aren't flat like those in the magazine.

I found 12 mins was plenty, but my oven is fierce.

If you want to freeze them - and I recommend you do as this dough makes loads, you just shape them and them freeze them spaced out on a tray or plate or something. When frozen, then you can bung them all into a freezer bag (if you bung them all in to begin with they will all freeze stuck together, and you don't really want that), to pull out and cook - from frozen - whensoever you wish. If cooking from frozen, give them 15 mins.

No comments: