Friday 18 January 2013

Ice grippers for your shoes

The walk to school.


I have, once before in this blog, lamented the loss of the apres ski boots I bought when I was 14. They were by a Canadian make called Blondi (or something like that) that were the most amazing boots for the snow and the ice that I'd ever come across.

They had what seemed like a sticky rubber sole and for years I thought I had imagined this.

But I hadn't.

There is indeed something called 'sticky rubber' which is used on snow boots.

Anyway, the boots are now long dead although they lasted about 20 years. But I contemplated buying a replacement until I saw that really good apres ski boots cost about £150 and for only occasional use, that seemed a bit luxurious when I had my Ecco boots and my sheepskin boots.

But my research led me to ice grips that you slip onto your boots or shoes. They are really good to keep in a bag when the weather gets like this. They slip relatively easily onto footwear, are good quality and are nice and grippy on ice. But, on normal pavements they can make you feel very unstable so if you're walking on and off icy surfaces do be aware of this and decide whether you want to have them on or off.

I got mine in December (because I am ORGANISED) and they cost £3.19, now they've gone up a bit according to what size you want. Still cheap though and useful to have.

I am a size 37/4.5 and the medium fitted me perfectly.


3 comments:

Claire Clark said...

we love our Yaktrax, so practical and you just take them off when you don't need them

Annalisa Barbieri said...

Where do you get them from Claire? You can take these off when don't need them too but they're not so stable on non-icy conditions. What are Yaktrax like when you hit bits with no ice?

Unknown said...

I got Yaktrax for as a Christmas and tested them in anger yesterday over ice walking my dog. the worked amazingly well with all the dog's pulling.